oneworld sets outs its sales store with key appointments to central team05 June 2001
oneworld™ today announces the structure of its new worldwide sales team, signalling the launch of a significant sales drive by the most international of the global airline alliances.
The unit's role is to develop and lead sales initiatives and systems that position oneworld firmly as the customers' first choice airline alliance. It will be fully in place with effect from July 1, replacing the oneworld sales taskforce, which has been based in London.
oneworld's airlines generate between them almost US$50 billion a year in passenger sales - so even a 1 per cent increase overall as a result of oneworld sales activities would generate almost an additional US$500 million a year in revenues for its members.
Overall, oneworld comprises some 30 airlines - the eight full members Aer Lingus, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, LanChile and Qantas, and their affiliates. Between them, they offer services to 565 destinations in 133 countries - more than any other global airline alliance - with their 270 000 employees operating fleets of 1 850 aircraft, carrying 210 million passengers last year.
The new central team reports to Maunu von Lueders, who joined oneworld's central management team as Vice-President Sales in February, moving from alliance member Finnair. Based at the alliance's head office at Vancouver are:
- Filip Lemmens as oneworld Global Sales Manager, stepping up from his role as oneworld Sales Project Manager in Belgium and Switzerland.
- Julia Hearn as Development Manager responsible for various e-business activities. Julia moved from British Airways to the oneworld sales taskforce in London eight months ago.
- John Foord as Dealing Manager, moving from British Airways where he is currently ePricing Manager.
- Bob Smith, as Business Manager, joining from American Airlines' head office in Dallas where he was responsible for sales budgeting and reporting.
This team will be assisted administratively by Lorraine Tufts, who is already on the oneworld Vancouver staff.
This central unit will support a oneworld field sales team, led by three regional sales managers, also reporting to Maunu von Lueders:
- Neil Harrison, from British Airways, covering Europe, Middle East and Africa.
- Nancy Brown, from American Airlines, responsible for The Americas.
- Jeff Smith, looking after Asia-Pacific, based in Hong Kong, from Qantas where he was Sales Manager New Zealand.
Reporting to them are area sales managers, responsible for oneworld sales activities in each continent. New appointments at this level include:
- Tom Hackenberg, for Asia, based in Hong Kong, moving from Cathay Pacific in New York, where he has been supporting oneworld sales in Asia.
- Raquel Robbe, for Latin America, based in Sao Paolo, transferring from British Airways in Germany.
- Michael Moretti, for Canada, based in Toronto, joining from American Airlines where he has been Sales Manager San Diego.
- Tiina Reijonen, for Denmark, Norway and Sweden, based in Stockholm, moving from Finnair, where she has been Manager Sales and Customer Strategies, in Stockholm
- Caroline Maene, for Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Switzerland, based in Brussels, transferring from British Airways where she has served as Account Manager Corporate Travel, in Brussels.
- Pedro Torres, for Austria and Germany, based in Frankfurt, who worked with Iberia as Marketing Manager Central Europe before joining the oneworld sales taskforce in February last year.
Announcing the various appointments, Maunu von Lueders said: "This is another significant step in the development of the world's leading global airline alliance.
"Such was the excellent calibre of the applicants for these jobs that we have been able to blend some of the best skills and experience from across the sales teams of our member airlines to build on the excellent work of the sales taskforce in generating selling opportunities and products that will be unrivalled."
For further information, contact:
oneworld Michael Blunt, V-P Public Relations +44 20 8738 5173
Aer Lingus Media and Public Relations +353 1 886 2573
American Airlines Corporate Communications +1 817 967 1577
British Airways Press Office +44 181 738 5100
Cathay Pacific Corporate Communications +852 2747 5211
Finnair Corporate Communications +358 981 84970
Iberia Communications +34 91 587 7462
LanChile Communications +562 565 2856
Qantas Public Affairs +61 2 9691 3468
oneworld logos and other material are available in the Press Gallery
Further background on each of the carriers are available on their web sites: