oneworld is Skytrax's best airline alliance for second year running15 Juillet 2014
oneworld® has today been named the World's Best Airline Alliance for the second year running in the 2014 World Airline Awards presented by the independent Skytrax airline quality ratings agency – confirming oneworld's position as the most highly prized global airline alliance.
oneworld is the current holder of an unprecedented six of the eight leading "best airline alliance" titles available in the various industry award schemes. Besides the Skytrax honour, oneworld is also:
- Global Traveler magazine's Best Airline Alliance in its GT Tested Reader Survey 2013 Awards for the fourth year running.
- World Travel Awards' World's Leading Airline Alliance 2013, for the 11th year running.
- Business Traveller's 2013 Best Airline Alliance.
- Premier Traveler's Best of 2013 Readers Survey Best Airline Alliance.
- Air Transport News' Best Airline Alliance 2013.
In addition, oneworld has held Business Traveller's Cellars in the Sky trophy, for the quality of wines served in-flight by member airlines, for the past six years.
oneworld member airlines also flew high in the Skytrax 2014 World Airline Awards, with founder member Cathay Pacific named overall Airline of the Year 2014 and Best Airline in Asia.
Qatar Airways took three top titles, for World's Best Business Class, World's Best Business Class Lounge, and Best Airline in the Middle East.
LAN Airlines and Qantas each made two trips to the winners' podium. LAN Airlines was named Best Airline in South America, and with Best Airline Staff Service in South America, while Qantas was judged Best Airline in Australia/Pacific, and Best Premium Economy Class Catering.
Also among the winners was Finnair, as Best Airline in Northern Europe for the fifth year running.
Skytrax's World Airline Awards are based on the results of a survey of some 18 million travellers from more than 160 countries, in what the agency describes as the only truly global, independent passenger survey of airline standards.
Covering more than 200 airlines, it analyses customer satisfaction for the overall airline passenger experience across more than 40 areas on the ground and in the air, from check-in to boarding, seat comfort, cabin cleanliness, food, beverages, in-flight entertainment and staff service.
The awards were presented at a ceremony today at the Farnborough Air Show hosted by CNN correspondent Jim Boulden. oneworld Vice-President Corporate Communications Michael Blunt received the best airline alliance award, on behalf of oneworld, from Skytrax Chairman Edward Plaisted.
oneworld Vice-President Corporate Communications Michael Blunt said: "oneworld aims to be the first choice alliance for frequent international travelers the world over, with quality one of our core values, so we very much appreciate being judged best in the biggest independent survey of international air travellers."
The Skytrax best alliance award comes just after oneworld has completed the biggest membership expansion programme in its history adding in the past two years:
- SriLankan Airlines, as the first carrier from the Indian sub-continent to join any global airline alliance.
- TAM Airlines, the leading airline in Latin America's biggest economy, Brazil, which switched to oneworld from the Star Alliance, solidifying oneworld's position as the leading alliance in the region.
- US Airways, which also transitioned to oneworld from Star, as part of its merger with oneworld founder partner American Airlines, creating the world's largest airline and making oneworld the leading alliance in the USA, the world's single largest air travel market.
- Qatar Airways, as the only one of the big Gulf carriers to become part of any of the global airline alliances.
- Malaysia Airlines, one of South East Asia's leading airlines.
- airberlin, the second biggest carrier in Europe's biggest economy, Germany.
- Former Star member bmi British Midland, which was integrated into oneworld founder member British Airways, solidifying oneworld's position as the leading alliance at London, the world's number one business city.
- A number of affiliate members, including LAN Colombia, OpenSkies and Iberia Express.
With this expansion, oneworld today:
- Serves almost a thousand airports in more than 150 countries, with 14 000 daily departures.
- Carries some 510 million passengers a year on a combined fleet of almost 3 500 aircraft.
- Generates US$ 145 billion annual revenues.
From left: LATAM Airlines Group Marketing Manager Europe Ana Dollevedo, oneworld Vice-President Michael Blunt, Cathay Pacific CEO Ivan Chu, Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker, Qantas Domestic CEO Lyell Strambi and Finnair Senior Vice-President Resource Management Gregory Kaldahl.
oneworld is an alliance of some of the world's leading airlines, committed to providing the highest level of service and convenience to frequent international travellers. Current member airlines include airberlin, American Airlines (including US Airways), British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN Airlines, TAM Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines, and around 30 affiliates.
oneworld member airlines work together to deliver consistently a superior, seamless travel experience, with special privileges and rewards for frequent flyers, including earning and redeeming miles and points across the entire alliance network. Top tier cardholders (Emerald and Sapphire) enjoy access to more than 600 airport lounges. The most regular travellers (Emerald) can also use fast track security lanes at select airports and are offered extra baggage allowances.